Wednesday 27 April 2016

Designing for Virginia White

My fabric designs - Honor and Honoria are finally up on the Virginia White Collection website and the orders are starting to come in....

Whilst I have been designing and printing my own designs for a while - this is the first time I have had a design produced commercially and it's been an exhilarating rollercoaster of a ride.

It all began months ago when Virginia wanted something lacey - I went away, rummaged in my lace collection and started work on a woodblock design based on a piece of antique french lace. Amelia in the Ivo design studio then helped me transfer my print onto a large screen, advised by factory manager and general print genius Podge and produced by screen maker extraordinaire Chris.






When it came to sampling the new design - basically exploring the best colours, scale and materials to print on - I worked with Monique and Jo on the hand-table, and then Chris and Ian took over to print show lengths on their galli machines. Virginia's bold use of colour was sometimes a bit of a challenge for me, as she often told me she didn't want anything crafty looking, but this was great as it shifted me out of my comfort zone.


Sampling my own design!


                                                                                             
                                         


The whole process, taking many months - has been a real team effort and opened my eyes to the reality of designing and making - which always involves drawing heavily on the expertise and knowledge of others rather than sitting designing on your own in a little bubble. 

The experience has also brought together my two different worlds - working as a handprinter at the wonderful Ivos screen printing factory and producing my own designs. It's helped me to understand the pressures of commercial production but most of all it's made me realise how lucky I am to be part of such a great team! Thank you everyone at Ivo's and Virginia for your support.




Time for lunch...

2 comments:

  1. That is very easy and also useful tutorial. thanks for sharing with us.
    african french lace | nigerian lace fabric

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice buttick work. best of luck to you guys.We have a good collection of African fabrics. Visit us hope you guys love them. We will pleasure to have you guys
    Sequin Fabrics

    ReplyDelete